Brabazon Law Office LLC Green Bay, WI  
Visit Our Immigration Specialist  
Legal Permanent Resident Renewals

     Your permanent resident card or green card is proof of your legal permanent residence in the United States. A permanent resident card is issued with an expiration date. The expiration date is normally 10 years from the date the card was issued. It is important that you file the appropriate application to renew your permanent resident card if it has expired or will expire in the next 6 months. The proper form for filing to renew your permanent resident card is Form I-90.

     It is important to note that if you are filing to remove the conditions on a permanent resident card that was issued for two years based on your marriage to a United States citizen or permanent resident you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions, not Form I-90.

     As part of the process of renewing your permanent resident card you will be fingerprinted. If you have been convicted of any crimes, no matter how minor, since you last obtained your permanent residency, it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney before filing your Form I-90. It is possible to lose your permanent residence and face deportation proceedings upon filing an application for renewal if you have been convicted of certain crimes as a permanent resident.

     Sometimes it becomes necessary to obtain a new card before the card’s expiration date if your card is lost or stolen or if the biographical information on the card has changed. An experienced immigration attorney will be able to assist you in filing the proper paperwork under any of these circumstances.

     Following the implementation of stricter laws relating to the issuance of driver’s licenses in many states as well as the issuance of social security cards, many individuals who obtained permanent residency many years ago have found it difficult to continue to use their old permanent resident cards as proof of legal presence in the United States. If you have a permanent resident card without an expiration date it may be necessary to file to receive a replacement permanent resident card that will be accepted as proof as legal status in the United States.

Brabazon Law Office, LLC P.O. Box 11213 Green Bay, WI 54307-1213 Phone: (920) 494-1106 Fax: (920) 494-0501 E-Mail:

Disclaimer • Privacy Policy • Sitemap • 

Site Design by Performance Marketing Green Bay